Can Alimony Be Modified If Based On Previous Income?

Question:caroline thompson attorney pennsylvania

I make alimony payments based on a salary that I no longer earn.

My past income is what’s figured in the alimony settlement. As things are now, my ex would be getting more than 50 percent of my net income.

Can I get this modified, or am I at the mercy of my former salary?


Please note that I am not licensed to practice law in your state, but I will answer your question based on my knowledge and experience in my state.

In order for you to modify the alimony amount, it would depend on two things.  The first would be whether you initially agreed to make the alimony payment modifiable upon a showing of a change of circumstances.

The second factor is whether the alimony award is enforced by the court.

If your alimony award is modifiable, you must promptly inform the local domestic relations office of these material changes to  personal circumstances in order for the support or alimony order to be modified. This could include a change in employment status, a change in hours or change in overtime that’s available.

Therefore, in many states, you are under an affirmative duty to notify the court of a change in employment.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer Caroline Thompsoncontact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *