If You Owe Child Support, Was Too Much Money Taken Out Of Your Tax Returns?

Noblesville Indiana Divorce LawyerQuestion:

Both my federal tax return and my state tax return were intercepted because I owe child support.

However, I believe the returns took too much of my money as the amount intercepted was more than I owed in arrears.

How can I dispute the amount of child support money taken out of my state and federal tax returns?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Indiana child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

The Federal and State Income Tax Return interceptions were likely done by separate agencies. You should have received a notice that your case qualified for the Federal Tax Refund Offset program informing you that your case qualified and your tax refund would be intercepted.

After the refund was intercepted, you should also receive another notice informing you of the interception for the purposes of paying child support.

The notices should contain the contact information for the child support prosecutor’s office in the county where your case is located. If you believe the amount collected was in error, you may file for an administrative review through this agency.

You should also have received a notice that your state tax return was subject to interception and that the funds had been intercepted for the purpose of paying an arrearage on child support. This notice should contain the information for how to file for an administrative review of your state tax return.

Related Articles:

Tax Tips For Divorced Dads

If you wish to dispute the amount collected from either your state or federal tax return, you must file for administrative review with the proper agency.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Noblesville, Indiana Divorce Lawyer Sara Pitcher, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *