I’m being shut out of my child’s college selection process. Can I do anything from a legal standpoint?

Divorce attorney Jason BowmanQuestion:

My child is a senior in high school who lives in another state with my ex-wife. He is currently looking at colleges. I have been excluded from all college visits and am not made aware of any information the colleges are sending him.

If I will be paying part of his college tuition, is there anything I can do legally to be made a part of his college selection process?


First let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois. Cordell & Cordell does have attorneys who are licensed to practice in Illinois and would be happy to discuss your case with you.

Every state is different as it pertains to what information a parent is or isn’t entitled to. Certainly if you are joint custodians of the child, in some states you should have access to all information relating to your child.

If your child is a senior in high school then he should be able to tell you what the process is like and you may want to offer to help him in the process. If all else fails, you can always request the Court to intervene.

However, I would speak to an attorney that practices in the jurisdiction of the Court before taking any further steps.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky, office of Cordell & Cordell. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *