Is Adultery A Crime That Will Be Enforced?

divorce lawyer Andrew LaufersQuestion:

Adultery is a crime punishable in my state by one year in jail and/or a fine. My wife has committed adultery, and I would like to know how I can get her and her boyfriend charged with a crime.

Worse, my wife was caught committing these acts by our children.

Can she be charged with a crime for adultery?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Minnesota divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

It is true that adultery is technically a crime in many jurisdictions.

However, the law is rarely enforced and even if you made a serious effort to have it enforced it probably would not be. The criminal courts are not the manner in which to pursue your grievance.

Where I practice, fault is not an issue in divorce, though other states have different divorce laws. However, if she is performing sex acts in front of the children, this behavior may speak to her fitness as a parent in a child custody dispute.

The act of adultery by itself has little relevance. The act of adultery in front of the children, though, is relevant.

Related Article:

How Affairs Affect Divorce

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Minnesota Divorce Lawyer Andrew J. Laufers, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *