Legal Separation Tips: Obtaining Temporary Child Support

Question:Colorado Divorce Attorney

I am looking for legal separation advice regarding temporary child support.

I moved out of the marital home with my children while still married to my wife because I feared for our safety.

Obviously, I have been providing for all of our children’s expenses during that time period up until I filed for divorce a few days ago. She hasn’t provided anything since she was unemployed, but now she has a job.

Can I get temporary child support or be reimbursed for the children’s expenses I incurred during our separation period?


While I am not licensed to practice in your jurisdiction, I can provide you with some general divorce help for men regarding your child support issue.

With regards to obtaining child support through the end of your divorce, courts may sometimes provide for temporary orders that will last until your divorce is finalized. Temporary orders can be ordered with regards to many issues, such as child support, parenting time, alimony, etc.

In your case it appears you may want to ask for temporary orders for payment of child support. As part of this, you may need to notify the court as to why child support is needed and how things have changed, such as the children live primarily with you and her income has increased due to employment. It may be helpful to contact the court for instructions on filing a motion or how you may proceed.

It may not be possible to recover those amounts you want to claim from the time you moved out to the date you filed for divorce because at the time of the move you were still married and no court orders or filings had been made.

Again, I am unable to provide you with legal advice on divorce and this should not be construed as an attorney-client relationship. Consult with a mens divorce attorney for legal separation advice.

To schedule an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell mens divorce lawyer, including Maile Kobayashi, an Associate Attorney in the Boulder, Denver, office of Cordell & Cordell, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *