Lives in One State, Baby Lives in Another

Question:elisabeth flemming attorney nevada

I live in one state but have a three-month-old baby that lives in another state with her mother.

I’m very concerned about how the courts will split parenting time between the mother and me.

Can joint custody be given in this situation? How would that work when we live in separate states?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

Generally, if you are living in a different state than your child, the courts will not award you split parenting time.

What that means is that you will not have the traditional every-other-weekend and one-night-a-week visitation or really a schedule anywhere near that. What the court will likely do is let you visit the baby whenever you are in the baby’s state, and once the baby gets older and is in school, then the child will be able to visit with you in your state during summer breaks and holidays.

Again, each case is different and if you can work out a schedule with your ex, I would suggest you try that first.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Nevada divorce lawyer Elisabeth Flemming, contact Cordell & Cordell. 

End of Content Icon

2 comments on “Lives in One State, Baby Lives in Another

    Its unfair to ask him to drop everything and move to where she is at. Its expensive and who is to say he will even be employed when he gets there? What happens if she moves again but to another state? This guy needs to get an attorney. He needs to document every single instance when it comes to be denied visitation.

    Lives in One State, Baby Lives in Another
    If the father lives in a different state than his children he should WITH NO EXCUSES find a way to move to the state where the child lives and be fully involved in that child’s life. NO EXCUSES. BE A MAN, BE A REAL FATHER, BE INVOLVED. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *