When A Child Moves To State With Lower Emancipation Age

divorce lawyer Jordan RapoffQuestion:

I am paying child support for a child that is 19 and has recently moved to another state that has a lower age of emancipation, specifically, age 18 in that state.

Does my child support order to pay until my child is 21 change now that the child lives in a state with a lower emancipation age?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

Given the limited facts provided, no, you cannot stop paying child support now that your child is living in another state and you are still living in the state that originally issued the order.

Your state’s divorce laws still apply and will remain the law regardless of where the child is living so long as you remain in the state. Even though your child is now living in another state, the original court that ordered the child support will retain jurisdiction.

Therefore, the issuing state’s child support laws concerning emancipation will apply.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan A. Rapoff, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *