My Ex Doesn’t Exercise Parenting Time By Failing To Show At Custody Exchanges

Noblesville Indiana Divorce LawyerQuestion:

Do I have to continue making my child available to my ex-wife for parenting time if she does not exercise it?

My ex and I live several hours apart so we meet halfway for the custody exchange. Recently she has stopped showing up and doesn’t call, text, or email to let me know.

It’s a waste of my time and hurtful for our child when we drive hours for an arranged parenting time switch that my ex-wife doesn’t bother to show for.

Is there anything I can do about these no shows and her lack of exercising her parenting time?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Indiana child custody laws where I am licensed to practice.

Since the child’s mother has not shown up for parenting time on multiple occasions, you should make efforts to document these instances and continue to bring the child to parenting time until further order of the court.

However, since she has failed to show up, you may file a motion requesting that parenting time be modified due to her failure to show up for the parenting time and the negative impact you believe this is having on your child.

The court will hear evidence on these issues and make a determination as to what would be in the best interests of the child.

Read Related Articles:

Parenting Time Disputes

Until the hearing is held and the judge issues an order modifying the previous order regarding parenting time, you should continue to make the child available for parenting time with the mother.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Noblesville, Indiana Divorce Lawyer Sara Pitcher, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *