My Wife is Supposed to Pay Alimony, but Sometimes Doesn’t: What Can I Do?

Question:elisabeth flemming attorney nevada

I have been receiving $1000 in alimony from my ex wife for the past six years. This is because I’ve been on Social Security Disability Income since before our divorce.

She is always late with payment, even though she’s supposed to pay at the beginning of every month. Sometimes, she goes into arrears and just pays as she pleases.

Is there any way the court can reevaluate the alimony and situation? Can monetary adjustments be made?


I do not practice in your state and can, therefore, only generally advise you on your particular issue.

If your wife is not abiding by the court-ordered schedule for payment of alimony, you can request that the judge hold her in contempt for violating the order and/or request a wage assignment to ensure timely payment of her court-ordered financial obligation to you.

You may also request a modification of your alimony award based upon a change in circumstance (for example, your increased financial need).

You can also do this based upon a cost of living increase as when inflation reduces the value of support payments. For this, you may request a modification as well.  However, this will depend on the particular laws of your state.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Nevada divorce lawyer Elisabeth Flemmingcontact Cordell & Cordell. 

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *