Notifying State When Paying Child Support Directly To Ex

divorce lawyer Jordan RapoffQuestion:

Per our divorce decree, I pay child support directly to my ex-wife. She recently moved out of state and I received a notification from her new state that I owe back child support and am in arrears.

I have not missed a payment to my ex-wife so obviously there is some sort of miscommunication or her new state is not recognizing my direct child support payments.

How can I prove to the state that I am complying with the divorce decree and paying child support directly to my ex-wife?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

First, as you indicated, you are paying child support directly to your ex-wife, but either she filed something with the state saying that she isn’t getting paid child support or the state is coming after you as they don’t have record of your child support payments since you are paying your ex-wife directly.

The state may have then contacted your ex-wife and found out she moved to another state and then informed that state of the situation, who is now enforcing the original state’s judgment terms.

If this is the case, then you will have to prove to the state that you are paying child support directly to your ex-wife. You will need to provide them with copies of your child support payments, which will then wipe out the child support arrears they are seeking.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan A. Rapoff, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *