Parental Rights, Possible Termination and Child Support

Question:diana bishara attorney new jersey

The mother of my child has given me trouble over the last few years, asking for more child support than what was required.

Now, she wants me to give up my parental rights? Can she do this? If she get this to pass, do I still pay child support and medical insurance? What are my rights here?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

In many states, a parent’s rights can be terminated either voluntarily or involuntarily.

Sometimes, a parent will voluntarily give up custody of his or her child. If this happens, the parent will most likely consent to having the ex have full legal and residential custody.

Your ex may also try to go to court herself and terminate your parental rights by arguing that it is in the best interest of your child. 

However, with respect to child support, that is the right of the child and neither you or your ex can decide to stop child support. As such, even if you do not have parental rights, you are still obligated to pay child support. 

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including New Jersey divorce lawyer Diana Bishara, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *