Can Ex-Wife and New Military Husband Take Child to Live Abroad?

Question:kristy loyall attorney oklahoma

My ex-wife recently married a man who is in the military. He is going to be deployed to Turkey soon.

Is my ex allowed to move our mutual daughter out of the country and to the military base in Turkey for the expected two-and-a-half years that her husband will be stationed there?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue. Additionally, as I do not have all the facts of your specific case I cannot provide you a full and complete response.

In many states, every final decree includes the relocation statute. This statute requires that a party who would like to relocate the child must make a request to the other party in writing.

Upon receiving the written notification, the responding party must file an objection with the court within thirty days. 

If the responding party does not file an objection within thirty days, then the other party can relocate. If an objection is filed, the court makes a determination as to whether or not a party can move. If your decree does not indicate the procedure for relocation, it is likely that your state has a statute that handles the issue.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Oklahoma attorney Kristy Loyall, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Can Ex-Wife and New Military Husband Take Child to Live Abroad?

    Can Ex-Wife and New Military Husband Take Child to Live Abroad?
    My memory from the military is that a wife is not allowed to go to Turkey, but can reside in Germany. The wife does not travel to turkey.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *