Paying For Childcare If Ex-Wife Is Unemployed And Can Watch The Kids

divorce lawyer Jill MasseyQuestion:

I am required to pay a percentage of work-related childcare expenses for my children per my divorce decree.

My child attends the after-school program at his school that I pay for even though my ex-wife is not currently working and available to watch him.

If she is not working and available to provide free childcare, then am I responsible for paying those childcare expenses?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Kentucky divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

Generally speaking, work-related childcare costs are costs associated with employment, job search, or education leading to employment.

If the child is not attending the after school program on one of these work-related bases, then the child care would not qualify as work-related.

Therefore, you should not be required to pay for a percentage of the childcare cost.

Read Related Articles:

Childcare and Divorce

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Louisville Divorce Lawyer Jill A. Massey, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *