Responding To Divorce Papers If Unsure What They Mean

divorce lawyer Caroline ThompsonQuestion:

I was recently served with papers from my wife’s divorce lawyer requesting I pay for the marital home mortgage plus other support expenses.

I have no idea what to do with the papers in terms of a response and what should be my next move.


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Pennsylvania divorce and child custody laws where I am licensed to practice.

At this juncture, it does make sense for you to consult with an attorney to determine exactly what papers you were served with and what the legal effect of those papers is.

For example, if you were served with a divorce complaint, where I practice, no response to the papers would be necessary.

You also could have been served with a support complaint, which is a document in which the plaintiff – the person asking for the support – requests the court schedule a hearing to determine what appropriate monthly support would be. Where I practice, once a support compliant is filed, a hearing is automatically scheduled.

It is important to determine exactly what papers you were served with so you can determine what action, if any, is necessary at this time and what times frames you have to complete any necessary actions.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with divorce lawyers for men in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Philadelphia Divorce Lawyer Caroline J. Thompson, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *