Terminating parental rights so a stepparent can adopt?

Divorce attorney Jason BowmanQuestion:

My stepdaughter’s biological father has never been in the picture.

Is there a way we can terminate the biological father’s parental rights so that I can do a stepparent adoption?



First let me preface my answer by stating that even though I am licensed to practice law in Texas, I am not an active member of their bar, so I am unable to provide you with any specific advise to your question. Cordell &  Cordell does have attorneys who are licensed to practice law in Texas and they would be happy to discuss your case with you.

A stepparent adoption would terminate the rights of the child’s biological father, which would eliminate any rights to visitation and child support. You would need to provide notice to the biological father and he may have to voluntarily agree to the adoption. You should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction to see what steps need to be taken in a stepparent adoption.

You should consult an attorney in your jurisdiction to get specific advice to your question and see what your options are.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky, office of Cordell & Cordell. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Terminating parental rights so a stepparent can adopt?

    i want to know how can i terminate my father’s right to my kids because i am paying too much for child support and not see them or spend time with them and it only because i moved to another state

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *