Since my child is emancipated, am I obligated to pay medical bills after the emancipation date?

Divorce attorney Jason BowmanQuestion:

My child was legally emancipated earlier this year and my child support payments were terminated. Yesterday, my ex-wife sent me an e-mail asking me to reimburse her for medical prescriptions and chiropractic bills for our child going back six years ago. I was never given these bills prior.

Since my child is emancipated am I obligated to pay these bills after the emancipation date?


First, let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed to practice law in the state of New Jersey. I am unable to provide any specific advice to your question, as I am unfamiliar with your states laws and rules. You should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction before proceeding in your case.

This is an issue that a lot of parties face, especially when one party holds onto reimbursed medical bills for months and, in your case, years. In some states, when child support has been terminated then that will terminate all claims made prior to that date, which may apply in your case.

Another issue that may arise is your state’s statute of limitations since the debt that your ex-wife is trying to get you to pay is over six years old.

You should consult an attorney in your jurisdiction to get specific advice to your question and see what your options are.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky, office of Cordell & Cordell. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *