Too Poor To Divorce?

too poor to divorceBy Robin Klein

Houston Divorce Lawyer

With housing values at near-record lows, wide-ranging cuts in salaries and a dramatic rise in unemployment rates, many couples are just not divorcing because they are afraid they can’t afford it.

After all, people on a fixed income typically do not have the thousands of dollars necessary to pay divorce lawyer fees, court costs, and other associated expenses that come with a marriage separation.

So are there options available for a man who wants a divorce but thinks he is unable to financially? Or can someone simply be too poor to divorce?

According to the Rules of Civil Procedure where I practice, a person who is unable to afford the costs of an original action (such as a divorce) must file an affidavit of indigency. A party who is unable to afford cost is defined as “a person who is presently receiving a governmental entitlement based on indigency or any other person who has no ability to pay costs.”

The affidavit must contain complete information as to your identity, nature and amount of governmental entitlement income, nature and amount of employment income, other income, spouse’s income, property owned, including bank accounts, as well as a list of debts and monthly expenses.

The affidavit must state that you are unable to pay court costs and you must verify that the contents of the affidavit are true and correct. The affidavit must be sworn before a notary public.

Once this is filed with the Court Clerk, the clerk will put the matter on the court’s docket to determine if the request will be granted or not.

Read Related Articles:

Divorce Questions To Ask

You need to check with your local family or civil court to find out if this is the same policy and procedure in your state and what other steps or documents are involved if you think you are too poor to divorce.

Cordell & Cordell has divorce lawyers for men located nationwide. For more information on the laws in your state or to schedule an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell divorce lawyer, please call 1.866.DADS.LAW.


Houston Divorce LawyerTo arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Houston Divorce Lawyer Robin W. Klein, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

3 comments on “Too Poor To Divorce?

    Needing a divorce been separated for almsot ten years or so and want it done and over with and get my maiden name back as well not sure where he is located at now a day’s haven’t heard or talked to him for a few years now and I’m also not working right now so need a cheap cheap lawyer or whatever to get this done so please help me out with this situation and help me get this divorce done and over with thank you so much

    Child Support Calculator
    Always consult with an attorney before signing any paperwork, especially when it comes to financial documents. Child Support will vary by state, and each state has a specific formula or guidelines in place to determine the child support amount.

    Each state has its own child support guidelines that will provide an estimated amount of your monthly child support.

    To use the child support calculator, click on the state where the litigation is taking place. A new window will open with the child support calculator.

    Keep in mind that these numbers are only rough estimates and should not be considered as determinative in your case.

    no money
    Hi im going thru a devorce my wife has a layer thay are making me sighn papper work saying i would pay 200 a week for child suport im only making 300 to 400 a week i cant find a job in my field how should i handle this Thank you Rocco D

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *