Using A Paternity Test To Dismiss Child Support Orders

Houston Divorce LawyerQuestion:

How do I challenge a child support decision via a paternity test?

I was just submitted with child support papers from a woman I am convinced did not have my child. But she somehow was able to get me on the hook for child support.

Isn’t there supposed to be paternity tests before filing for child support? How can I get a paternity test to prove I’m not the father and dismiss these child support orders?


This answer only includes general divorce help for men since I am only licensed to practice in Texas and am thus unable to provide specific legal advice on paternity laws in your state.

Where I practice, you would want to have paternity established first, and the first step would be to take a paternity test.

Read Related Article:

How To Establish Paternity

If you have not previously signed and filed an acknowledgment of paternity or been adjudicated the father, you will need to file an action to establish or deny paternity or contact the lawyer or agency that sent you the paperwork on child support and tell them that you need a paternity test before a claim for child support can be made.

If it is determined that you are not the biological father then the child support case should be dismissed.

Please understand that my opinions are based upon the limited facts that you provided to me. For a more in depth discussion of child support laws and advice on divorce, I urge you to contact a divorce lawyer.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Houston Divorce Lawyer Robin W. Klein, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *