What Are My Options If I Can’t Afford An Attorney?


I am going through a divorce but cannot currently afford an attorney. Many of the forms and papers I have to fill out are very confusing.

Is there any way to find free legal assistance with all this?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and cannot give you legal advice, I can give some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

Your state may have a self-help center, which provides forms for certain filings and actions. You should check the state’s website for any free information available.

Omaha divorce attorney Nancy Shannon
Omaha divorce attorney Nancy Shannon

There may also be a legal library at the courthouse. This is another source of information, and, possibly direct assistance.

Lastly, your state may have a department that offers free legal aid.

Going to trial without the assistance of an attorney on matters of such importance puts you at a great disadvantage. My advice is to try to continue the trial while also doing everything you can to secure an attorney to assist you moving forward.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Nebraska divorce lawyer Nancy Shannon, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

5 comments on “What Are My Options If I Can’t Afford An Attorney?

    I have a friend and his ex wife is taking him back to court to change the custody agreement. They now have joint custody with primary placement with mother and father gets visitation. Mother now wants sole custody with the father having supervised visitation. He had a lawyer the first time and is still paying off, he can’t afford it again. Is there any help out here for dads.

    I am in exactly the same position… Plus my ex just moved out of state without my permission.. what can I do??? Seems the only time the courts want to get involved is when I get behind on support, then they jump to action with a warrant and have me jailed.. Losing my job, getting more behind… I have filed to have support reduced as I can’t afford to pay what I use to,and they charge me $150 filing fee!!! Can you believe this crap?!? $150 filing fee to get relief from monies that I can’t afford!!! This whole justice system is upside down!!!
    Furious and in an ever deepening hole,
    South Carolina

    My ex-wife moved from the state were custody was granted to her. She took two of our children and moved to another state and left my son with me. He has been with me 4 years now however I don’t have legal custody of him. I pay child support for all 3 children with no assistance from her for him. I only have seen my other children a few weeks in the summer. Please advise.

    I have visitation rights but the mother will not keep the schedule. I pay alot in child support so I can’t afford a lawyer. Can someone please help me?! I miss my kids severely and I know they miss daddy!

    I have a son who’s mother will not let me see him. I pay child support but that is not enough for his mother. I have tried to let my sister and her set up visitation but now she will not respond to her. I work but I don’t make a lot of money. I have 3 other child that I support and see. I can not afford a lawyer. What can I do about this??????(I HAVE NOT SEEN HIM IN ABOUT 6-8 MONTHS)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *