What Are My Options If The DOR Puts A Levy On My Account?


My divorce is finalized, but the Department of Revenue Child Support Division has put a levy on my bank account because I have gone above the threshold of owing too much even though I have been paying through my company’s payroll. 

I have no money and no food and will not be able to go to work and could lose my job. What should I do?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.  

There may be a way to stop the DOR from seizing your bank account. If, for example, the levy causes a severe hardship or the amount of past-due support in the Notice of Levy is more than you owe.

However, there may be certain time limitations within which the above must be provided in response to the Notice of Levy. In addition, certain documentation may or may not be needed in responding to the Notice. You should consult with a domestic litigation attorney in your area to advise on your rights during the seizing of your bank account by the DOR.

Furthermore, if you are unable to keep up with your child support payments you may want to look into filing a modification. The general standard to modify child support is a substantial change in circumstances. A substantial change in circumstances can include a range of factors.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips. I would encourage you to contact a domestic litigation attorney licensed in your area who can examine the full details of your situation.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Miami divorce lawyer Christina Lapadula, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on CordellCordell.com, CordellCordell.co.uk, and DadsDivorce.com, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.