What are the requirements to annul a marriage?

divorce attorney Jill DuffyQuestion:

My wife and I have been married for less than a year and we would like a divorce.

Is there a way I could seek an annulment to this marriage since we have not been married long?


In Michigan where I practice, annulments are rare. An annulment is not granted based on the length of the marriage, but instead on a marriage that was void or voidable from the beginning.

Void marriages are marriages that are prohibited by law, such as those between people who are already married (bigamy), or between closely related people (incest).

An annulment can also be granted for a voidable marriage, which includes a marriage by a person under the age of consent, or if the consent to marry was obtained by fraud or force.

Do not rely on this information as establishing an attorney-client relationship. Contact an attorney immediately for assistance.

Cordell & Cordell represents men in divorce nationwide.


Jill A. Duffy is an Associate Attorney in the Troy, Mich., office of Cordell & Cordell. She is licensed to practice in the state of Michigan. Ms. Duffy received her BA in Psychology and Spanish and graduated Magna Cum Laude from Oakland University. She received her Juris Doctor from Michigan State University College of Law and graduated Magna Cum Laude.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *