What Can Child Support Be Used For?

child supportQuestion:

Is it legal for my ex-wife to use the child support I’m paying her to pay off her personal loan?


I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws in your state and can only provide you with general information regarding your situation.

In Tennessee and Missouri, where I am licensed, it is legal to spend child support money however the obligee decides.

The state determines how much is needed to support the child/children and then the number is set. If the obligee spends the money on something else, it is presumed that he/she used money from somewhere else on the children.

Tennessee divorce lawyer Kimberly Gray
Tennessee divorce lawyer Kimberly Gray

It is entirely possible that you are paying too much in support though, and it may need to be recalculated.  I do not know how child support is calculated in your state so I would encourage you to contact the Cordell and Cordell office in your state and request an initial consultation to determine what steps you will need to take.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Tennessee divorce lawyer Kimberly Gray, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on CordellCordell.com, CordellCordell.co.uk, and DadsDivorce.com, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

4 comments on “What Can Child Support Be Used For?

    If I had kids with the girl that I was never married with. I understand her filing for child support. But for spousal support is that even possible or ilegal without a marriage certificate. Because first of all we were never married so I don’t see how she would possess a marriage certificate in court

    The laws surrounding child support spending can be complicated and the facts of each case are unique. This article provides a brief, general introduction to the topic. For specific information, you should consult with a family law attorney.

    I have a divorce case that was filed in linond county Oklahoma and a child support case in with a nother ALJ I trying to get the high cost of vistiontion taken off the case along with every thing else the divorce case keeps coming to a stand still.

    Texas Oag owes me $10,000.00, I am from north carolina in 2006 a childsupport order was tooking out in both states with nc haveing jurisdiction over the whole case in 2009 this case was terminated arrears where also terminated well some one in texas didn’t file the paper work and my taxes where intercepted in 2011, 2014,and2016. Nc has sent orders too texas tp refund me my money, but they are playing dum.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.