What If My Spouse Doesn’t Respond To Custody Papers?

custody papersQuestion:

I am trying to get custody of my daughter and am getting ready to serve my ex-wife. But what happens if she doesn’t sign the papers once she is served?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and cannot give you legal advice, I can give some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

If the opposing party does not file an Answer I would expect that you would need to schedule a default hearing. At this hearing, you may present evidence showing the court that you fulfilled the necessary procedural requirements and then ask for the requested relief.

Omaha divorce attorney Nancy Shannon
Omaha divorce attorney Nancy Shannon

I would strongly suggest that you meet with an attorney experienced in family law, given that you are addressing such crucial issues in your case.

Family law is based on statutes that are state specific. I am licensed to practice in Nebraska and am not able to give specific and detailed legal advice regarding your situation. You need to contact an attorney licensed in your state who specializes in domestic litigation. Cordell and Cordell, PC has offices in Texas and you may contact that office to set up a consultation.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Nebraska divorce lawyer Nancy Shannon, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “What If My Spouse Doesn’t Respond To Custody Papers?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *