What if the amount of child support being garnished is still not enough?

Divorce attorney Jason BowmanQuestion:

My child support is collected through garnishment of my wages. However the amount being garnished is not the full amount of the child support owed because I do not make enough money.

Can my wife come after me for contempt even though my wages are being garnished the maximum amount allowed?


First let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed in the state of Louisiana, so I am unable to provide you with specific advice to your question.

If you aren’t making enough money to meet your child support obligation you should talk to a family law attorney about attempting to modify your support obligation to reflect what you are currently earning.

It is important that you attempt to modify because if your child support payments are short each paycheck, then you are technically in arrears for your support obligation and could face penalties from the court.

You should consult an attorney in your jurisdiction to get specific advice to your question and see what your options are.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky, office of Cordell & Cordell. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *