What Is A Fair Amount Of Support To Give A Child In College?

divorce lawyer Kirsten ReneauQuestion:

My ex-wife and I agreed that I would continue paying support while our child attends college even though our child is considered emancipated.

We are trying to negotiate a dollar amount. How can I determine a fair amount of post-emancipation support without my ex-wife asking for too much?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Wisconsin child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

In some states, support paid after the child has been declared emancipated is completely voluntary. This may be the case in your state, which means that an order for such may or may not be enforceable by the court.

To determine a dollar amount, you should find a sum that is reasonable for your circumstances but also is adequate for the support of your college-age child. Your state child support laws may have statutory guidelines that could assist you in determining an appropriate amount of support.

You may also choose to mediate this issue with your ex-wife with a trained, seasoned mediator. You may also wish to have family law attorneys available who can negotiate an appropriate amount.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Madison Divorce Attorney Kirsten K. Reneau, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *