When Can You Request A Change Of Venue In Divorce And Custody Cases?

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

What is the process for getting a change of venue or change of jurisdiction in my divorce and child custody case?

Our case is taking place in another county from where my children and I live, and it appears nobody in that county seems to have the best interests of the children in mind.

Can I request a change of venue?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska and Iowa divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

If a certain court carries a particular bias or conflict, you can request a change in venue, at least in the jurisdictions I practice in. Further, if the parties are no longer located in the original jurisdiction and all parties consent, a transfer is quite simple.

However, if in your divorce you are dealing with real property then jurisdiction will likely need to remain in the county where the real estate is located. Further, if your spouse has no contacts with the county you are requesting, you may not be able to transfer the case.

Read Related Articles:

Change of Venue

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Jamie Kinkaid, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

2 comments on “When Can You Request A Change Of Venue In Divorce And Custody Cases?

    Where are womens rights when she has a resraining order against her exhusband. he tried to kill me and here you are defenending men. He is on drugs and i want a change of venue. to the city where me and my child has resided for over three years.

    I have a question. My ex wife split to Arizona before I fIled for divorce. The Judge royaly screwed me. Allowed her to keep our daughter away from me in Arizona. When I didn’t not consent to her leaving. Granted her full custody. I have to go there all the way there to see my Daughter at all my cost. No help from her.. And aLarge child support. I keep filing appeal after appeal. And still he denies me !!!!!! I am in Nebraska. Holt county to be exactly 🙁 Can I change Venue on the request of conflict of interest ??? I feel he keeps treating my unjustly! !!!!!! Please help me !!!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *