Reporting Ex-Wife To CPS Over Suspected Abuse

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

I reported my ex-wife to Child Protective Services because of suspected child abuse and possible sexual abuse.

This was over a week ago and I have yet to hear back from CPS. What can I do to ensure this is being investigated as I’m worried for my children’s safety?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska and Iowa divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

CPS does not necessarily work as fast as most individuals would like. If you check into their rules, many states have a requirement that an investigation be closed with some type of referral or findings within a certain number of days from the initial intake of the report.

They may not contact you until later in the investigation. However, you should be able to call and get the investigator’s name and contact information so you can contact them yourself.

As a side note, if they make a finding of child abuse or sexual abuse, this would need to be brought to the court’s attention immediately so they can reevaluate any existing child custody and visitation orders.

If you suspect your children have been abused, I would recommend immediate therapy and counseling. This counselor can be subpoenaed to testify on behalf of your children.

You may also consider discussing the appointment of a Guardian Ad Litem to aid the court in determining what the children’s best interests are. It is best to be very proactive in situations like this.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Jamie Kinkaid, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *