Will I have to pay child support for my stepchildren?

Divorce attorney Jason BowmanQuestion:

I married a woman who had a minor child, but pretended she did not know who the father was. Now we are getting a divorce and my wife is under the impression that I will have to pay child support for my stepdaughter.

Will I have to pay child support for my stepchild even though I am not the biological father?


First let me preface my answer by stating that even though I am licensed to practice law in the state of Kentucky, I am unable to provide you with specific legal advice related to your question as I am unfamiliar with all the facts of your case.

In most states, the law will require a father to provide support for his biological children. In addition, there are some states that require non-biological fathers to provide support, if they were part of the child’s life since the beginning, held themselves out to be the father of the child and the child only knows that man as the father.

I don’t think that applies to your case because the child in question knows that you are not her biological father and that child should not be a part of the divorce proceeding since she is not your minor child.

You should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction before taking any action in your case to get specific advice to your case. Cordell & Cordell has men’s divorce lawyers located nationwide should you seek legal assistance.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky, office of Cordell & Cordell. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

2 comments on “Will I have to pay child support for my stepchildren?

    My wife is a stay at home mom and has a 8yr old son with another man. If the son’s real dad takes us to court so he can have the son live with him. Will the court require me to pay child support since she doesn’t work?

    I am bring in a fiancé from the Dominican republic on a fiancé visa she has 2 kids around 2 and 5 yrs old. If she divorces me and I am on disability. Do I lose something or have to pay child support?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *