Will I Pay More Child Support If Insurance Increases?

insurance Question:

My ex-wife got a new job I did not know about and is claiming our daughter’s healthcare increased significantly with the switch. She says I’m responsible to cover the increase but will not provide documentation or even the insurance cards.

I do not see how I can be held responsible for her choosing to take a new job with more expensive insurance when I knew nothing about it until after the fact. Will I be forced to cover this new cost if she takes me to court?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and cannot give you legal advice, I can give some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

I would expect that a significant change in the cost of health insurance could be considered a reason to modify the current child support payment. It does not matter whether you knew about the change in employment ahead of time or not.

Omaha divorce attorney Nancy Shannon
Omaha divorce attorney Nancy Shannon

It is also possible that if you can provide the health insurance coverage for a cheaper rate. This could be reflected in the order, and if your state offers a reduction in child support for this payment it could be to your financial benefit.

Please be aware that until the current child support order is changed, you only need to pay what is currently ordered. Your ex-wife does not get to change the parameters of the order on her own.

Family law is based on statutes that are state specific. I am licensed to practice in Nebraska and am not able to give specific and detailed legal advice regarding your situation. You need to contact an attorney licensed in your state who specializes in domestic litigation.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Nebraska divorce lawyer Nancy Shannon, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *