Am I Paying Too Much Child Support?


I recently signed my uncontested divorce decree. I had no attorney and feel I might have agreed to pay too much child support.

We have four kids. I have to pay more than $600 supplemental security income to my oldest and an additional $865 in child support. I only make $1,500 per month and she is unemployed. I also don’t get to file any of the kids at the end of the year for taxes.

Am I paying too much?


Virginia Beach divorce attorney Jonah Dickey
Virginia Beach divorce attorney Jonah Dickey

I do not practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state and can only provide you with general tips on your situation.

Child support guidelines are state specific and have many variables. At first glance and without any further information, the amount of child support that you are paying certainly appears to be high.

But as I stated above, there are many variables that go into child support guidelines. Most states take items such as child care expenses, health care expenses, previous child support obligations, and the earning capability of the parties if they are not earning up to their potential.

Because this is such a complex issue, it would be a good idea to consult with a licensed attorney in your area that can look at all of the variables that your state considers when running the guidelines. At that point he or she would be able to tell you exactly what you are obligated to pay by law, and what the procedures are in your state to amend the current order.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than tips on your situation, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in Indiana and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Virginia divorce lawyer Jonah Dickey, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Am I Paying Too Much Child Support?

    Married in 1983 – divorced in 1993 – no court ordered support – but temperary $600 per monthy – one 4 year old child – joint custody – x moved out of CA to Mn in 1995 despite my feelings – I continued living and working in CA. Saw my child twice after that.. have not seen my child in 20 years .. Now X-wife is claiming that I owe her for 12 years 1996 – 2008 at $600 per month plus 10% interest….comes to over $180,000 dollars. She never went to court and file for non payment of child support – now 22 years later she wants to claim — the 600 dollar a month was a temporary agreement. She re- married – never saw or heard from her. I have not seen my child for 20 years .

    I never had court ordered support – never had – wadges or income tax – garnishments – never heard anything at all from Child services … know 21 years later – she want 12 * 600 * 12years * 10% interest… $180,000
    Is this legal?
    I would of paid back CS in 1996….. but not 600 per month – maybe 1/2 that amount
    I never heard from her and she did not file a claim in court for CS ….
    Hell I did not know where she was living –

    help please

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *