How can I regain custody from grandparents?


Until recently, my daughter has lived with her grandparents. She was sent back to live with us and we would like to transfer her to a school closer to our home than have her travel across town to keep going to her current school.

What do I need to do in order to restore full custody to me so we can do this and other things without the grandmother being involved?



First let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed to practice law in the state of Utah, so I am unable to provide you with any specific advice to your question as I am unfamiliar with the specific laws and issues that affect your case. You should consult an attorney in your jurisdiction to get specific advice to your question.

A lot will depend on if the Court has been involved and what Orders the Court has entered. If a Court has been involved in your case, then you would need to move the Court to modify its order. If you need to go to the Court and the grandparents are parties to the action, you would need to provide them notice of your proposed action. If there was never a Court Order, then you may not need to do anything since you are the child’s parent. You should contact an attorney to see what steps need to be taken in your jurisdiction.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *