Can A Default Divorce Be Issued If Ex Answered Petition Late?

oklahoma city divorce lawyerQuestion:

My wife filed her Answer to my divorce Petition a couple days after her response was due.

Is her Answer automatically invalid because it was not filed in time? Can I file for a default divorce since she did not technically file a response within the time frame provided?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Oklahoma divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

In order for a party to file an Answer out of time he/she must seek leave from the court. Most judges will allow a party additional time to file his/her Answer. Where I practice, it is unlikely that the court will sustain your Motion for Default since an Answer is on file.

Also, whether or not this is a divorce with minor children affects the outcome. In some jurisdictions, a divorce in which children are at issue cannot be granted for a certain time period, such as 90 days from the date of filing. If a default divorce is granted there must be a hearing to determine what is in the children’s best interest.

Divorce Resources:

State Divorce Laws

If her Answer does not deny the allegations contained in your Petition, you could file a Motion for Summary Judgment.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Oklahoma Divorce Lawyer Kristy Kapp, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *