Paying For College Tuition If Divorce Decree Does Not Specify

divorce lawyer Jordan RapoffQuestion:

I have been paying half of my child’s college tuition even though my divorce decree does not specify that I have to pay for any college.

My child is now 21 and I would like to stop contributing to college expenses.

Can I stop paying college tuition since it wasn’t specified in my divorce decree even though I have been paying those expenses for several years?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

While a requirement to pay your child’s college tuition was not included in your divorce decree, judges will typically order parents to pay college tuition if both parents have the means to do so.

Because you have agreed to pay your child’s tuition thus far, a judge may order that you continue to pay if you have a high wage earning job.

Related Articles:

Who Pays For College?

In order to discontinue paying your child’s college tuition, you would likely need some type of evidence to show the court that you are no longer able to pay the tuition based on your monthly income and expenses.

Absent such evidence, it is likely that a judge will order you to continue paying for your child’s college tuition.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan A. Rapoff, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *