Can A Parent Receive Child Support When On Gov. Assistance

Noblesville Indiana Divorce LawyerQuestion:

Can a parent be awarded child support if they are already receiving government assistance benefits, such as Medicaid and food stamps?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Indiana child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

When applying for government assistance, a parent will be asked if they are currently receiving child support from the child’s other parent.

If not, the government may attempt to collect the child support funds or require you to seek to establish a child support order through the court from the child’s other parent. Where I practice, this can be initiated for a fee of $25 through the local prosecutor’s office.

If the parent applying for assistance is receiving child support, then the amount received in child support will be considered in determining how much in assistance that parent qualifies for.

Divorce Resource:

Child Support Calculators

To determine whether you qualify for government assistance, you may obtain an application online or contact your local agency.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Noblesville, Indiana Divorce Lawyer Sara Pitcher, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *