Can I Object To Discovery Questions In My Divorce?

Philadelphia Pennsylvania Divorce LawyerQuestion:

I received a discovery and document production form from my wife’s divorce lawyer asking me to provide bank statements and other financial information from our date of separation.

This request also wants to know any newly acquired assets after our separation date.

Do I have the right to object to such divorce discovery questions?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Pennsylvania divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

Broad discovery is permitted with respect to claims for alimony, equitable distribution, divorce attorney fees and expenses, and in complex support cases. Opposing counsel has a right to ask you to produce all bank account statements post-separation as well as all newly acquired assets from the date of separation to present.

However, you have the right to object to any discovery questions you believe are irrelevant or invasive of your privacy.

Discourse on Discovery:

What Is Discovery?

If you choose to object to your wife’s divorce lawyer’s discovery request, a Motion to Compel such discovery may be filed against you. A Motion to Compel is a request from one party for the opposing party to reveal or turn over evidence that is considered material and pertinent to the pending case.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Philadelphia Divorce Lawyer Ashley Weiner, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *