Can I Pay College Expenses Directly To My Child?

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

My oldest child is returning home from college this summer, and my ex-wife is threatening to raise my child support on my other children if I do not pay for certain expenses for my college-aged child, such as gas, increased utility costs from living at home over the summer, etc.

Since my oldest child is emancipated I have explained to my ex-wife that anything the child needs I will pay directly to him rather than to my ex-wife. But then she threatens me that she can get me to pay more.

Are her threats valid or should I proceed with paying my child directly for his summer expenses?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

I would advise you to check the specific wording of the divorce decree. Generally, if the decree does not order you to pay an expense then you are under no obligation to pay these requested funds to your ex-spouse.

Her course of action, if she feels that you are not doing something that you should be, is to try to hold you in contempt of court. However, you can only be held in contempt of court for willfully failing to do take an action that is actually ordered and reflected in the final divorce decree.

From the information provided, it appears that the decree does not specifically order you to pay those expenses.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Nancy Shannon, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *