Can She Request Child Support Post-Divorce?

oklahoma city divorce lawyerQuestion:

My ex-wife and I agreed to no child support in our divorce, but she holds it over my head and threatens to petition for child support every time something isn’t going our way.

Can she come after me for child support even though she denied it during our divorce?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Oklahoma divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

A Motion to Modify can be filed if there is any substantial change in circumstances. In child support modifications that is normally a change in income. If there has not been a change in circumstance than a modification is not proper.

If a modification is proper, you can try and argue that you contracted outside the child support statute by agreeing to no support. However, whether or not that is successful will depend on the statute and case law in your state.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Oklahoma Divorce Lawyer Kristy Kapp, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *