Can The DOR Suspend My License For Unpaid Child Support?

dividing car as marital propertyQuestion:

I recently fell behind on my child support payments. I’ve started paying back my ex, but it’s lower than the full amount.

Now the Department of Revenue is going to suspend my driver’s license. Can they suspend my license if I’m making payments but the payments are lower than the full amount?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and am unable to give you legal advice, I can give you some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

Where I do practice in Virginia, the state is allowed to suspend your driver’s license anytime you are behind on support. So, if you are not paying the full amount, that would put you behind and the state would have the right to suspend your license.

Even though you are paying more than you agreed to at the beginning, at some point the department entered an order stating you had to pay more in order to pay off your arrears, this is not uncommon.

Once your license is suspended you must file a motion with the court to have it reinstated. The court generally will not reinstate your license until you put together an acceptable plan to pay off the arrears amount.

Questions regarding child support, especially arrears, require a specialized knowledge of local law. For these reasons I would suggest you contact an attorney who specializes in family law matters in your jurisdiction.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than tips on these matters.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss child support rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *