Can You Give Someone Power Of Attorney To Handle Divorce?

oklahoma city divorce lawyerQuestion:

My wife said she is going to give her mother Power of Attorney so she can handle the divorce paperwork and court appearances for my wife.

Can you give someone Power of Attorney for a divorce and have them do it for you?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Oklahoma divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

In general, it will depend on the Power of Attorney that is granted to the third party.

If someone authorizes a third party to have a full power of attorney then that third party could potentially handle the divorce proceeding. However, the court would have discretion whether or not to grant the divorce because the court is a court of equity.

Furthermore, a third party’s ability to handle the matter, depending on whether there are minor children or if the matter is contested, could be affected.

Read Related Articles:

Power of Attorney in Divorce

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Oklahoma Divorce Lawyer Kristy Kapp, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *