Which Law Applies When Age Of Emancipation Changes?

divorce lawyer Jordan RapoffQuestion:

When I divorced my ex-wife my state’s child support laws for termination of support was age 22 if the child continued to attend a higher education institution after high school.

Several years ago child support laws changed and reduced the maximum age to 21.

So can I stop paying child support when my child turns 21 under the new law or do I have to follow my order under the old child support law?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

Ultimately, the answer depends on the language of your divorce decree/child support order.

If your order states that child support shall be paid until the age of emancipation as determined by state statute, then your child support can be terminated when your child turns 21, which is the current child support law.

However, if your order states that child support shall be paid until your child reaches age 22 as long as he attends a higher education institution after high school then you will need to follow your order and continue paying child support until your child turns 22.

Child Support Laws:

Age of Emancipation In Your State

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan A. Rapoff, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *