Who Gets To Decide Who Picks Up The Child From School?

Noblesville Indiana Divorce LawyerQuestion:

I have joint legal custody, but my ex-wife has informed the school that my childcare provider is no longer an approved person to pick up our child on my parenting time days.

Can the mother really do this or do I need to get a letter from a family law attorney stating that on my days I can still use the babysitter that I have had established all year?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Indiana divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

If you have joint legal custody, you are entitled to make and participate in decisions regarding schooling and childcare of your child, in addition to numerous other decisions.

If there are disagreements as to issues of joint legal custody, then you can request a hearing with a judge to determine the issue. It may be possible to reach a resolution without the need to go to court. However, if the opposing party is not agreeable, then it may not be possible.

You may be able to convince the school to cooperate based on your joint custody rights, but it may be more effective to obtain an order from the court that can be provided to the school regarding pick up and drop off from the building. That way the school will have a document to rely on with respect to these decisions.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Noblesville, Indiana Divorce Lawyer Sara Pitcher, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *