Child Support Modification Factors A Court Will Consider

child support modification factorsChild Support Question:

What are the child support modification factors a court will consider?

I was ordered to pay child support, but I spend significantly more time with my children since the order was entered because my work schedule has changed.


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on New York child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

Many states will adjust the presumptive amount of child support to be paid to the primary custodial parent if the children spend a significant amount of time with the non-custodial parent.

Child support modification factors that are likely to be of importance in such cases are:

a.) whether the amount of time spent with each parent was initially accounted for in the calculation of the child support amount;

b.) the amount of time that has passed since the last agreed upon or ordered amount of child support was set; and

c.) any changes in the custodial arrangement since the time that the child support amount was last calculated.

In addition, if a court is inclined to adjust the child support payments based on the amount of time spent with the non-custodial parent, then the parties will most always have to submit proof of their current income and the child support calculations will be based upon such current income.

Child Support Calculators:

How Much Should You Pay?

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with divorce lawyers for men in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including New York Divorce Lawyer Sarah J. Merry, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Child Support Modification Factors A Court Will Consider

    child support modification
    I had to resign my job that paid more than my current job for medical reason,I have two other kids that resides with me
    after all the deductions i am left with $50 every two weeks.
    how to I persent my case to the magistrate

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *