Child Support Modification If My Ex Is Making More Money Than Reported

advice on divorceQuestion:

Are the factors below enough to qualify me for a child support modification?

I pay child support and for my child’s after school care, though that payment is not mandated by the court.

However, I have learned that I am paying for my child’s after school care so that my ex-wife can work a significant amount of overtime resulting in a much higher income than she reported.

Could I get a modification of child support based on her previously unreported overtime pay and the fact that I’m paying for child care costs that the court does not know about?


This answer only includes general divorce help for men since I am only licensed to practice in Oklahoma and am thus unable to provide legal advice on divorce.

It sounds like you’re a good candidate for a child support modification. Generally, modification of child support requires a showing that there has been a “material change in circumstances.”

Each jurisdiction interprets this a little differently, but as a rule the material change must affect some factor that was originally a part of the child support computation. Where I practice, these include a change in income, a change in health insurance costs, a change in the physical child custody schedule, and/or a change in costs associated with child care.

If your state has similar rules, you potentially have claims based on at least two of these factors. She has a change in income based on her significant overtime, and if you’re going to pay for after school care, you should get credit for it on your child support computation if your state allows it.

Read Related Articles:

Child Support Modification

If there is no court order requiring you to pay the after school care costs, you don’t have to pay them. You should consider filing a Motion to Modify Child Support so you can get this matter straightened out as quickly as possible.

I strongly recommend you seek the advice of a skilled family law attorney who is well-versed in child support laws as you move forward.

To set up an appointment with a Cordell and Cordell mens divorce attorney, including Oklahoma City Divorce Lawyer Christian D. Barnard, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *