Dealing with an ex-wife’s husband’s parenting style

mens divorce lawyer Janet Yu JohnstonQuestion:

I have sole legal and physical custody of my son. I do not trust my ex-wife’s new husband, especially when he is with my son during my ex’s parenting time.

He has started to take my 7-year-old hunting and having him handling a gun, which I am completely against.

Do I have any legal recourse to keep my ex’s husband from participating in dangerous activities with my child?


Generally speaking, the courts are interested in the best interests of the children and want to protect them from harmful situations.

Since you have sole custody of your son, you do have a strong say in your son’s best interests, and the court likewise may believe that a child of 7 years old is a bit young to be handling firearms.

I would recommend that you meet with an attorney regarding this issue as they may be able to make a motion to the court to ensure that your son is well protected.

Cordell & Cordell has men’s divorce lawyers located nationwide.


Janet Yu Johnston is an Associate Attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell, where she practices domestic relations exclusively. Ms. Johnston is licensed to practice law in the states of Indiana and Kentucky. Ms. Johnston received her Bachelor of Arts in both English and Foreign Lanugage/International Studies from Bellarmine University in Louisville, Kentucky. She later received her Juris Doctor from University of Louisville, Brandeis School of Law.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *