Divorce Help For Men: Filing Procedures in Family Law

divorce help for menQuestion:

I am looking for divorce help for men in terms of the rules and procedures of family law. My ex-wife just filed a violation of child support in family court.

Do I need to file a response to her motion or do I just bring my facts to court? If I have a counterclaim, is that associated with this appearance or do I file that separately?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though.

It sounds like your former spouse has filed a motion for contempt/enforcement of the support provisions regarding payment of child support. You can file a response to your former wife’s motion; however, in the state of Florida a response is not mandatory.

Still, if you file a response you will have the opportunity to enlighten the court as to your side of the story.

If you have a “counterclaim,” which I assume to mean that you also feel that your wife is in violation of the support order or other provisions of the final judgment, you could file a response to your former wife’s motion and include a motion for contempt/enforcement for violation of the support order as well.

Many local courts have a pro se (representing yourself) family law case management division that can help you fill out the forms if you choose not to retain an attorney.

For additional divorce help for men, I urge you to contact a mens divorce attorney in order to receive specific legal advice on divorce.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Melissa Knight, an associate attorney in the Tampa, Florida, office, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *