Can I Emancipate Child For Not Disclosing College Grades?

Mens divorce lawyerQuestion:

How do child support laws work when a child is in college?

My daughter just finished up her first year at college. She e-mailed me with what she says are her grades for the second semester, but she has not given me verified documentation from the institution.

She has also not given me her class schedule for this upcoming fall semester. I requested in a reply e-mail that I needed the official documents for both her grades and upcoming class schedule.

How long do I have to wait to receive the documents, and would child support be terminated if she did not provide me with the information?


This answer only includes general divorce help for men since I am only licensed to practice in Missouri and am thus unable to provide any legal advice on divorce on the laws in your state.

Missouri courts are extremely lenient with children regarding the obligations and responsibilities to provide college information to the non-custodial parent.

Technically, your daughter must provide you with a transcript or similar official document provided by her school that shows the grades she received the prior semester and the classes that she is enrolled in for the following semester.  This information must be provided to you at the beginning of each semester.

If you formally request your daughter’s grade information, then she must provide you with a copy of her grades within 30 days.

Please keep in mind that judges generally favor child support continuing if your daughter is enrolled in school, and the judge will usually find receipt of information concerning grades and enrollment, even if the information is not an official transcript, sufficient to continue your obligation for support.

Additionally, if your daughter provided you with information to access her grades and file online, then most judges believe that your ability to access the information is sufficient and your daughter does not have any additional duty to provide you with written transcripts.

Please understand that my opinions are based upon the limited facts that you provided to me. For a more in depth discussion of your legal rights and legal advice on divorce, I urge you to contact a family law attorney immediately.

To set up an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Michelle Hughes, an Associate Attorney in the Jefferson County, Missouri office, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *