Do I have a say in what my children do during my ex’s parenting time?


My ex-spouse has been allowing our minor son’s girlfriend to spend the night with each other during her parenting time.

I strongly disapprove of this, but is there anything I can do since this behavior is going on during her parenting time?


While it appears that your case involves parenting time, there may be more concerning issues at hand. You and your ex should be aware that there may be criminal statutes in your state that relate to minors and how they interact with each other, such as sleeping together.

In addition, in some states, parents can be held liable for these actions if you suspect, know of and/or allow this conduct to occur.

Speaking solely to parenting time, if you wish to make a modification, you may do this by filing a petition with the court. But remember that the party seeking the change (the “movant”) generally must show that a “substantial change of circumstances” has occurred since the entry of the original order.

Before doing so I strongly encourage you to speak with an attorney who is familiar with the specific domestic relations, and possibly criminal, laws of your state given that your son and his girlfriend are both minors.

Cordell & Cordell has men’s divorce lawyers located nationwide.


Emily J. Barry is a Staff Attorney with the Indianapolis office of Cordell & Cordell, where she practices family law exclusively with a focus on men’s divorce. She is licensed in the state of Indiana, and US District Courts of Northern and Southern Indiana. Ms. Barry is also a certified mediator in the state of Michigan. Ms. Barry received her Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Hispanic Studies cum laude from Connecticut College. Later, she received her Juris Doctor from Michigan State University College of Law with a concentration in Alternative Dispute Resolution.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *