Do I Have A Say In Who Watches Our Children During My Ex’s Parenting Time?

Noblesville Indiana Divorce LawyerQuestion:

During my ex-wife’s parenting time, she often has her elderly parents look after our small children in lieu of daycare.

I’m fine with her using family members to provide child care, but I have concerns over my children’s safety while with their grandparents, who are unhealthy and too old to properly care for toddlers.

Do I have any say in who will be watching our children during my ex-wife’s parenting time?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Indiana divorce and child custody laws where I am licensed to practice.

If you and the child’s mother have joint legal custody and you cannot reach an agreement regarding an issue involving the care of the children, you may request the court’s intervention on the issue.

You may request a hearing and present evidence regarding your concerns to the court and the child’s mother will have the same opportunity. You may even be able to request the attendance of the grandparents as witnesses.

Read Related Article:

What Is Legal Custody?

You will likely also need to have your proposal regarding child care ready to present to the court, including who will provide the child care, the cost, whether the facility is licensed, plans for who will provide transportation to and from the child care facility, and a proposal for the division of the costs associated.

Once the evidence is presented, the court will issue its ruling based on the information presented.

If you are ever concerned for the immediate safety or wellbeing of the children, you should contact the police or the appropriate agency and report the issue.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Noblesville, Indiana Divorce Lawyer Sara Pitcher, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Do I Have A Say In Who Watches Our Children During My Ex’s Parenting Time?

    In our divorce agreement I am responsible for 2/3 of my children’s care while my ex wife is working. But I know her cousin is watching them for free is it possible for her to say shes paying her cousin and have her cousin lie.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *