Do I Need An Out-Of-State Attorney?


I live in Utah and my child lives in Arizona with his mother. I need to hire an attorney to file for a reduction in child support.

Should I hire an attorney in Arizona or Utah?


While I am not licensed to practice law in either Utah or Arizona and cannot give you legal advice, I can give some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

Where I practice in Pennsylvania, the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) usually controls situations where the parents live in two different states and there is a need to modify an existing support order.

Pennsylvania divorce attorney William Phelan
Cordell & Cordell Pennsylvania divorce attorney William Phelan, IV

The action may be initiated in Pennsylvania and then, if required, the Pennsylvania court will forward the matter to the other state so that proceedings may be initiated in the other state. If you are initiating a proceeding under UIFSA in Pennsylvania, you will need an attorney who is licensed in Pennsylvania.

Due to the inter-state nature of your issue, I would strongly suggest you contact an attorney who handles family law matters in your jurisdiction, such as Cordell & Cordell, to see how Utah and Arizona’s laws can help you with this serious situation.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your jurisdiction to obtain specific advice as to the laws in Utah and Arizona and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer William J. Phelan, IV, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.