Enforcing Child Support Orders From Another State

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

I live in another state from where my divorce was finalized and was always under the impression that the state I currently live in has no jurisdiction over my child support case.

However, I recently received paperwork from my state indicating they were enforcing my child support arrears and would be handling my payments.

Can the state do this? Why was I not notified of the change in jurisdiction?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska and Iowa divorce and child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

Based on the limited set of facts you have given, it appears the state you currently live in is acting under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA).

It is not likely the state has obtained or taken jurisdiction, but instead, under UIFSA, is enforcing a child support order without the need for registration. Enforcement can be maintained without registration because it is likely a matter of law.

There is no need to notify you of a “change in jurisdiction” as the change has never occurred. They are simply enforcing.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Jamie Kinkaid, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Enforcing Child Support Orders From Another State

    child support
    I am paying child support for 4 children in virginia. 3 of my children have become of age where current support should stop. I am also paying arrears. I have been advised that although current support has stop, that a modification of child support to only pay the arrears will not be sent to my job. Child support enforcement has told me that since I owe arrears that I will have to continue to pay the same amount until the child support is paid in full. This seems impossible because everytime my support goes down it goes right back up due to intrest. I am remarried and have a step daughter as well a a child with my current wife. What can I do.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *